Today, they rebroadcast the CNN feed from the morning of September 11th, 2001. I don’t know if they’ll keep it up but, I hope they leave it up as streaming video for people to watch at their leisure.
Anyone, and I mean anyone who tries to lay the blame at the feet of our own government - for you I can only say:
SHAME ON YOU!
Get down of your partisan high horse because that’s what it is. Whether it’s sour grapes over the 2000 election or just a ingrained distaste for people of the opposing party. I have to wonder what these very same people would have been saying if Al Gore was in office on that day? What would be the reasoning then?
Watching the events unfold, I am fascinated by just how quickly we did respond.
Stop with the Monday morning quarterbacking - it’s disingenuous, it’s farcicle and it weakens your argument greatly
At the same time, I was also reading a couple of things in a variety of places...
We are coming up on the tenth anniversary of the whole 9/11 thing. I’m of mixed feelings about it all to tell you the truth...
I started that drat back in August of 2011 and here almost ten years later I find I still have very mixed feelings about that day.
I might talk about my own story on that day, how I was on the way into work listening on cheap equivalent of a walkman or something listening to events unfold and how I turned around midway through my commute only to see quite clearly from where I turned back the two chimneys of smoke getting ready to crash to earth.
So much changed and I can define my life as before 9/11 and after 9/11 because it really was that eventful and even more so for anyone living in and around New York City. It’s likely me and my peers equivalent of Pearl Harbor I guess.
It was spectacular but it was also stupid.
First off is how so much was missed in the months and years leading up to it. We don’t talk as much about that as we should in that it was a complete failure of government and as much as people may want to lay that at Bush Jrs feet the truth is he came into office in January of that year and they didn’t plan and train in 8 short months.
We talk about the death that happened on September 11th but that day was just the beginning... so many people wound up dying as a result of that event. I’m not just taking about Americans either, you have so many people in Iraq and Afghanistan who lost their lives as an outgrowth as well as the cost in American lives (and soldiers from other nations as well).
The terrific thing about this today is if we look back on September 11th, what did it accomplish as far as the people who carried that attack out. I guess somewhere in their minds they expected the United States to cower but it’s a funny thing about us as a nation for as much as we hate each other and fight with each other someone else attacking us is all it takes for the nation to unify and then look out.
It would be nice if we could remember that more from time to time.
I could say more but really that seems like a perfect place to end as far as this goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment